Paris Masters Semi-Final #1 Preview: Daniil Medvedev vs Milos Raonic
Third seed Daniil Medvedev sets up a riveting clash against 10th seed Milos Raonic in the semifinals of the Paris Masters
- Medvedev leads the head to head record 2-0 against Raonic.
- Both the players are aiming for their first Paris Masters title.
- Medvedev is targetting a third ATP Masters 1000 title.
- This is Raonic's second ATP Masters 1000 semifinal this year after Cincinnati Masters 2020.
- Medvedev will overtake Roger Federer and become the World number 4 in the rankings.
- Raonic is playing his third semifinal at the Paris Masters.
- Medvedev has won 3 of his 7 titles on indoor hardcourts.
- If Medvedev wins tonight, it would be his first final of 2020.
After a sub-standard season compared to his exploits last year, Medvedev has found form in Paris. He was trailing 7-5 after losing the first set against rising star Alex De Minaur. But, the Russian bounced back to win the next two sets 6-2 6-2.
He thrashed Diego Schwartzman in the quarterfinals with just the loss of four games in a ruthless performance.
On the other hand, Raonic did not lose a single set in three matches against Aljaz Bedene, Pierre Hugues Herbert, and Marcos Giron. The homeboy, Ugo Humbert who was on an eight-match winning streak failed to convert two match points in the third-set tiebreak as Raonic won 6-3 3-6 7-6(7).
The Canadian has smashed 71 aces in four matches in this tournament. With the conditions being quick with low bounce and heavy balls, Raonic would have to deploy his world-class kick serve to trouble Medvedev.
Medvedev has regained confidence and is going for his shots. The controlled conditions will reward his flat groundstrokes and giant serve. Raonic needs to go for a combination of big-serving and big-hitting to outlast Medvedev.
While Medvedev starts as a slight favorite, Raonic's serve might not be the easiest to handle.
Prediction - Daniil Medvedev to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - Getty Images