Gilles Simon vs Denis Shapovalov - Round of 64 - Paris Masters - Preview and Prediction
Paris throws up a perfect clash as World number 53, Gilles Simon takes on World number 28, Denis Shapovalov in the round of 64 today.
- Simon and Shapovalov are meeting for the first time on the ATP tour
- Shapovalov won his first career title in the Stockholm Open after losing in seven straight semifinals
- Simon is playing his 14th Paris Masters
- Shapovalov lost to two Frenchmen, Julien Benneteau, and Richard Gasquet in the last two years in Paris
- Simon lost in straight sets to Dominic Thiem in the round of 32 last year in Paris
- Simon has a 27-26 win-loss record in 2019
The French veteran has been playing for 17 years. He has also been in good form this year and has been taking down some really talented players in various tournaments.
Coming to Paris, Simon would look to win big matches against top-ranked players to extend his career.
On the other hand, things have gone in the right direction this year for the Canadian. Encouraging performances in men's doubles with the Indian veteran, Rohan Bopanna has given him additional match practice along with versatility in his game.
Just like "how a fish takes to water", the youngster loves playing on hard-courts with his two major weapons of an attacking game coupled up with his big-serve coming to the fore.
The Next-Gen star also has a very high winning percentage on his second serve.
The clash of the two generations, a 34-year old Simon and a 20-year old Shapovalov will impress the fans.
Simon will look to get off to a quick start while Shapovalov will look to get back into good form ahead of the Next-Gen ATP Finals.
Prediction - Denis Shapovalov to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits - SofaScore