Dominic Thiem vs Diego Schwartzman - Finals - Vienna Open - Preview and Prediction
World number 5, Dominic Thiem is up for a blockbuster clash with number 15, Diego Schwartzman in the Vienna Open finals tonight.
- Thiem has a 4-0 indoor hard-court win-loss record in 2019
- Thiem leads the head to head record 4-2 against Schwartzman
- It is the first time that Thiem and Schwartzman are playing each other on indoor hard
- Thiem has never won a title in Vienna
- Schwartzman won the Los Cabos title in 2019
- Thiem won two hard-court titles in 2019, Indian Wells and Beijing
- Thiem lost in the quarterfinals to Kei Nishikori in Vienna in 2018
- Schwartzman lost in the first round to Kyle Edmund in Vienna in 2018
The Austrian has been in fantastic form in this tournament. He kick-started his campaign beating one of the best hard-court players, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets in the round of 32.
After losing four matches on a trot to his nemesis, Fernando Verdasco, he turned the tide winning 6-3 3-6 6-2 in the pre-quarterfinals.
Pablo Carreno Busta retired hurt trailing 0-5 in the quarters handing the top seed more rest ahead of the semis.
He overcame a first set blip to defeat World number 11, Matteo Berrettini, 3-6 7-5 6-3 in the semifinals.
Schwartzman, too, has been in sensational form in Vienna. He beat experienced doubles player, Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the round of 32.
"Pocket-Rocket", as he is fondly called, overcame the big-serving Sam Querrey 6-7 6-4 7-6 in the pre-quarterfinals.
He ousted second seed, Karen Khachanov 7-6 6-2 in the quarterfinals.
The Argentine played his best match of the year, destroying Gael Monfils 6-3 6-2 in the semifinals. Interestingly, Schwartzman did not hit a single ace nor committed a single double fault in the match.
Fans can expect a lot of entertainment in this match.
Thiem has consistency and delivers under pressure, while Schwartzman has amazing court-coverage and fights hard for every point.
Dominic Thiem to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits- Getty Images