French Open 2022 Final: Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud Head to Head Prediction | H2H Stats
Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud: French Open Final Preview
The stage is set for Rafael Nadal at the French Open as he bids for his 14th Roland Garros title on Sunday evening.
Nadal who will enter his 30th Grand Slam final will have a head-to-head battle with Norwegian star Casper Ruud who enters his first.
The pair will meet for the very first time in their careers as this might be a meeting of the present and future of the tennis world.
- Casper Ruud came from a set down to beat Marin Cilic in the semifinal beating him 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
- On the horizon, Nadal didn’t have too much to sweat out as Alexander Zverev had to retire hurt due to an injury, handing Nadal a Passover to the final
- If Nadal does beat Ruud, it will be his 22nd Grand Slam, 14th at the French Open
Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud: Head-to-Head
While this will be the first-ever meeting between the Spaniard Nadal and Norwegian Ruud, both players will fancy their chances.
Nadal’s experience might come in handy as he tries to outclass his opponent in the head-to-head battle, having reached his 30th Grand Slam final. Interestingly Nadal has lost only one of his last 6 Grand Slam finals.
Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud: H2H Stats at French Open 2022
|Rafael Nadal||Head to Head||Casper Ruud|
|18 hrs 8 mins||Time on Court||18 hrs 2 mins|
|38/85||Break Points won||29/76|
|2/2||Tie Breakers Won||3/5|
Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud: Player Analysis
The Spaniard turned 36 in the semifinal match against Alexander Zverev, which saw him get fortunate not to be stretched as the German had to retire through injury. The 'King of Clay' won the first set tie break and look set for another one before the inevitable happened.
However, his urgency, forehand play, and serve were the key assets for the Spaniard. So far Nadal has won both tie-breakers he has played at the French Open.
With 71% first serve points won, Ruud will fancy his chances but will have to focus on the baseline effort as Nadal will make use of the wind. Another area where Ruud will have to vary is the breakpoints, the 23-year-old gave away 9 break points but was lucky that Cilic only converted two of those.
Another key factor will be the unforced errors, although he was fluent in serve, unforced will have to decrease if he is to fancy his chances against Nadal.
List of Nadal’s last of 6 Grand Slam finals-
|2022||Australian Open||Rafael Nadal||Daniil Medvedev||2–6, 6–7, 6–4, 6–4, 7–5|
|2020||French Open||Rafael Nadal||Novak Djokovic||6-0, 6-2, 7-5|
|2019||US Open||Rafael Nadal||Daniil Medvedev||7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4|
|2019||French Open||Rafael Nadal||Dominic Thiem||6-3, 5-7, 6-1, 6-1|
|2019||Australian Open||Novak Djokovic||Rafael Nadal||6-3, 6-2, 6-3|
|2018||French Open||Rafael Nadal||Dominic Thiem||6-4, 6-3, 6-2|
Rafael Nadal vs Casper Ruud: Journey so far in the 2022 French Open
Rafael Nadal –
- Rafael Nadal has an astonishing 111-3 record at the Roland Garros and will certainly fancy his opportunity having got away from Zverev due to injury.
- Before that, Nadal had to get the better of Novak Djokovic where he outwitted him
- 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 7-6.
- Felix Auger Aliassime provided a stern challenge to Nadal in the fourth round as he won in five sets, winning 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
- Nadal had a smooth passage in the first week of the French Open 2022 having won in straight sets in the first three rounds.
Casper Ruud –
- The semifinal clash against Cilic was a reality check for Ruud as he had to come from behind to win the match.
- Earlier, Ruud gave a happy send-off to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the first round, while the second round tie against Emil Ruusuvuori was the only occasion he didn’t drop a set.
- The third-round encounter against Lorenzo Sonego was the toughest challenge as the Miami Open runner-up won in five sets 6-2, 6-7, 1-6, 6-4, 6-3.
- Hubert Hurkacz, 12th seed also presented a stern challenge before overcoming in 6-2, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 win.
- While it was the same margin in terms of sets for Ruud when he outclassed Danish star Holger Rune.