Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Fourth seed Daniil Medvedev kickstarts his campaign against fifth seed Alexander Zverev.
- Alexander Zverev leads the head to head record 5-2 against Medvedev.
- The German has won the tournament in 2018 defeating Novak Djokovic in the finals.
- Zverev has won two indoor hard court tournaments this season, Cologne 1 and Cologne 2.
- Daniil Medvedev won one indoor hard court title this season, the Paris Masters.
- The Russian is aiming to win his first-ever ATP Finals title.
- They both clashed against each other just one week ago in the finals at Paris which Medvedev won in three sets ending Zverev's 12-match winning streak.
- Zverev has 7 wins and 5 losses in the ATP Finals.
- Medvedev crashed out in the group stage in the tournament last year after losing all his three matches.
- Zverev defeated the Russian in straight sets in the group stage last year.
- The 5th seed, Zverev lost to Dominic Thiem in straight sets in the semifinals last year.
- Medvedev has a 23-10 win-loss record in 2020.
- Alexander Zverev has a 27-9 win-loss record in 2020.
It’s a little bit upsetting, London is a place where we love the atmosphere, we love the stadium and everything, it’s going to be difficult and different, but I’m still looking forward to playing in this beautiful stadium for the last time at the Nitto ATP Finals, it’s still going to be special," said Zverev after the authorities decided to move the tournament from London to Turin next year.
Medvedev is blessed with relentless return of serve, calmness, and unorthodox gameplay. Zverev has a big serve and a high breakpoint conversion rate. He is controlling the rallies aggressively and not making many double-faults by striking the ball with precision.
The Russian will rely on his dogged defense and deep groundstrokes which were world-class in the second and third sets in the Paris finals to extract errors from Zverev.
While the German has a good record in the ATP Finals, Medvedev would look to improve his poor record here. The fans can expect another thrilling three-setter from the players who will bring their athleticism and energy to the much-awaited match.
Prediction - Alexander Zverev to win in three sets.
Featured Image Credits - Firstsportz.com