Novak Djokovic vs Alexander Zverev: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Top seed Novak Djokovic faces the fifth seed Alexander Zverev in an exciting clash at the ATP Finals
- Novak Djokovic leads the head to head record 3-2 against Zverev.
- The winner of this match will make it to the semifinals. Hence, this match can be treated as a virtual quarterfinal.
- Djokovic is targetting a record-equalling sixth ATP Finals title to level the count with his great archrival. Roger Federer.
- Zverev won the ATP Finals in 2018 and reached the semifinals last year.
- Both Djokovic and Zverev lost to Daniil Medvedev in straight sets and defeated Diego Schwartzman in their round-robin matches.
- If Zverev wins the match, it will be a hat-trick of semifinals appearances for the German.
- The Serb will finish as the World number 1 for the sixth year in overall equalling the record set by the legendary Pete Sampras.
After beginning his campaign with a solid, Djokovic was totally outplayed by Medvedev losing 6-3 6-3. His win percentage on the second serve was woeful at 50% and even lost seven games in a row to the Russian.
On the other hand, Zverev romped to a three-set win over Schwartzman. His first serve was excellent at 80% and he also smashed 10 aces eliminating the Argentinian from contention for the semifinals.
Medvedev played one of the best matches of his life never giving any room on the baseline with his clinical serving and Djokovic had a very weak return of serve. Zverev's forehand has not been accurate enough and is slightly off the mark.
The German needs an inspired performance if he wishes to prevail against the mighty Djokovic. Both players will aim to play their best tennis with a valuable semifinal spot on the line. The fast indoor courts do suit Zverev's game but the current world #1 might just edge past him with his immense experience and big match play.
Prediction - Novak Djokovic to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - Getty Images