Roger Federer vs Matteo Berrettini - ATP Finals - Preview and Prediction
A captivating clash is all set to occur as World number 3, Roger Federer will face off against number 8, Matteo Berrettini tonight.
- It is a must-win match for both Federer and Berrettini to stay alive in the tournament
- Federer leads the head to head record 1-0 against Berrettini
- Berrettini is playing in his first ATP Finals
- Federer has reached the semifinals in 15 out of 16 appearances in the ATP Finals
- Federer has won the ATP Finals a record six times
- Berrettini did not win a hard-court title this year
- Federer won three hard-court titles, Miami, Dubai and Basel Open
The Italian was expected to test Novak Djokovic in his first match. The fast indoor courts suited his big-serve. However, he could not withstand the solid defence of the 16-time grand slam champion. A low first and second serve percentage of 47 and 33% respectively affected his flow.
Nervousness and big-match pressure affected his performance as he lost 6-1, 6-2.
On the other hand, the 20-time grand slam champion lost in a thrilling match to number 5, Dominic Thiem in his first match. Despite huge crowd support, the Swiss never got going.
Thiem set the theme attacking Federer's backhand. Low breakpoint conversion of 25% and second-serve percentage of 48% proved to be a costly difference.
“It is a normal tournament from here on forward, not allowed to lose anymore, that's how it is every week of the year for the past 20 years, so from that standpoint there is nothing new there.” opined Federer ahead of the do or die encounter.
Both players will look to set their campaign right in a high-stakes match.
Federer will look to reduce his unforced errors while Berrettini will aim to trouble him with relentless hitting
Prediction - Roger Federer to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits - Getty Images