Hima Das: The Golden Girl of India in track and field
Indian prodigy, Hima Das, left everyone in awe as she bagged her fifth gold medal in a month.
The Dhing Express bagged her fifth Gold medal at the Nove Mesto Athletics meet on July 20th. The ace sprinter clocked 52.09 in the 400 meters to climb the podium, which was relatively longer than her national record breaking performance of 50.79, in the 2018 Asian games.
The 19 year is on a winning streak since the beginning of July and has recently been bestowed with the tile, ’Golden girl of India’.
Hima Das has won 5 gold medals at the international events in less than a month.
1. On July 2, 2019: She bagged 200m Gold in Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland; time taken 23.65 seconds.
2. On July 7, 2019; She won 200m gold at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland; time was 23.97 seconds.
3. On July 13, 2019; she won 200m gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic; time 23.43 seconds.
4. July 17, 2019; She won the gold medal in the 200m race at Tabor Athletics Meet Czech Republic time was 23.25 seconds.
5. On 20 July 2019, she won the gold medal in the 400 metre in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic; time was 52.09 seconds.
The 19 year old stated, “ These five matches were training games, warm-up matches because big games like World Championship is coming next. So for that, I am preparing. My focus is on these big games.”, as per a report from ANI.
Current records that are held by Hima Das:
Personal Best Records -
100 m – 11.74 seconds (2018)
200 m – 23.10 seconds (2018)
400 m – 50.79 seconds (2018)
National Record -
400 m - 50.79 (2018)
International Record -
She is the first Indian to win a gold medal at an international track event.
With athletes like her, India is now hopeful for a better future on the tracks. If her talent is honed; India’s hopes of competing for an Olympic medal isn’t far.