ICC WC 2023: England vs Afghanistan: Preview & prediction

England will face Afghanistan at the Arun Jaitley stadium in the 13th match of the 2023 Cricket World Cup. The match provides another opportunity for England to replicate the performance the team gave against Bangladesh whereas for Afghanistan it will be another opportunity to test themselves against a quality team like England. In this article, we will talk about all the aspects of the match


England would look to continue the good work they did against Bangladesh where they gave a near-perfect performance as a team. The onus will again be on the batters to tackle Afghanistan’s spin trio of Mujeeb Rashid and Nabi who can cause a bit of trouble to the English batters. The only area of concern for England will be their bowling which gave Bangladesh a chance to stretch the match after picking up early wickets.


There were a lot of positives for Afghanistan especially in the batting department in their last match against India. The Afghan batters played the full quota of fifty overs and posted a challenging total of 273 runs on the board. Hashmatullah Shahidi Afghanistan’s captain would like to have more support from his bowlers against England if the team has to challenge the defending champions


England: Jos Buttler (c), Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Mark Wood, Chris Woakes.

Afghanistan: Hashmatullah Shahidi (c), Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Riaz Hassan, Rahmat Shah, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Ikram Alikhil, Azmatullah Omarzai, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Noor Ahmad, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Abdul Rahman, Naveen ul Haq.

Dream11 Team Captain & Vice Captain Choices

Captain: J Root

Vice-Captain: R Topley, D Malan

Dream11 Prediction Team 1

Wicketkeeper: J Bairstow

Batters: J Root, D Malan

All-rounders: L Livingstone, S Curran, A Omarzai

Bowlers: A Rashid, C Woakes, R Topley, M Wood, R Khan

Dream11 Prediction Team 2

Wicketkeepers J Bairstow

Batters: J Root, D Malan

All-rounders: L Livingstone, S Curran, A Omarzai

Bowlers: A Rashid, C Woakes, R Topley, M Wood, R Khan

Here are all the important details regarding the venue, timings, telecast, and live streaming of the England vs Afghanistan match in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023.

When will the England vs Afghanistan match be played?

England vs Afghanistan match will be played on Sunday, October 15 at 2 pm IST.

Where will the England vs Afghanistan match be played?

The England vs Afghanistan match will be played at the Arun Jaitley Stadium in Delhi.

On which TV channel will the match be telecast live?

The match will be telecast live on the Star Sports Network.

Where will the match be streamed live?

The match will be live-streamed on the Disney+Hotstar app and website. 

Weather Forecast

England vs Afghanistan Weather Forecast: The weather in Delhi on 15 October 2023 is expected to be mostly sunny, with a high of 29 degrees Celsius and a low of 17 degrees Celsius. There is a 0% chance of rain. The humidity will be around 60%. The wind will be blowing from the west at 10 kilometers per hour. 

Toss Prediction

The team winning the toss will likely opt to bowl first. 

Pitch Report

The ground offers a flat surface and there is very little help for the bowlers. The team batting first will look to score around 350 to give the bowlers a good chance. 

Venue Stats

Total matches: 30

Matches won batting first: 14

Matches won bowling first: 15

Average 1st Inns scores: 231

Highest total recorded: 428/5 (50 Ov) by RSA vs SL

Lowest total recorded: 99/10 (27.1 Ov) by RSA vs IND

Highest score chased: 281/4 (40.5 Ov) by IND vs SL

Head-to-Head Stats in ODI

Matches played: 2

England: 2

Afghanistan: 0

Chance of winning

England has a 75% chance of winning this match while Afghanistan has a 25% chance of doing the same

Players to watch out for

Best Batter

ENG: Joe Root, AFG: Rahmat Shah

Best Bowler

ENG: Mark Wood, AFG: Rashid Khan

key stats

England have won all six of their meetings against Afghanistan

Joe Root has hit five half-centuries from eight ODI innings in India

The Arun Jaitley Stadium hosts the biggest ODI score in Cricket World Cup history (428)

Afghanistan is ranked ninth in the ODI standings but has accumulated 1,457 fewer points than fifth-ranked England

Rahmanullah Gurbaz is the quickest of the 13 Afghanistan batters to the mark of 1000 ODI runs

England's Dawid Malan boasts the second-highest score at the 2023 Cricket World Cup with 140 at a strike rate of 130.84

 Afghanistan has suffered two of the three biggest losses at the 2023 Cricket World Cup

Image Credit: HindustanTimes

Leave a Reply