Paris Masters Final Preview and Prediction: Daniil Medvedev vs Alexander Zverev
In an exciting Next-Gen battle, third seed Daniil Medvedev squares off against fourth seed Alexander Zverev in the final of the Paris Masters
- Zverev leads the head to head record 5-1 against Medvedev.
- Both Zverev and Medvedev are targetting their first Paris Masters title.
- If Zverev wins tonight, it would be his third title in a row after winning in Cologne twice.
- Both Zverev and Medvedev have dropped only set apiece this week.
- Medvedev is playing his first final in 2020.
- Medvedev is aiming for his third ATP Masters title.
- Zverev is on a 12-match winning streak.
- Zverev is targetting a fourth ATP Masters title.
- Zverev is playing his 7th ATP Masters final with a 3-3 win-loss record.
Steely focus has been the mantra of Zverev's success. He is no longer committing too many double faults nor being passive while controlling the rallies. His fantastic first-serve and a powerful forehand have made him call the shots by striking the ball with precision and aggression.
Medvedev has shown signs of resurgence similar to his 2019 exploits. He has been winning a high percentage of his first-serve points. The Russian's defense has been world-class with his usual doggedness forcing his opponents to commit errors through patience and variation.
Zverev will be full of confidence and determination after outlasting the top seed Rafael Nadal in the semifinal. With 13 aces, a 97% winning percentage on the first serve and 100% winning percentage on the second serve, everything went right for the German.
Medvedev played with an extra gear to overcome Milos Raonic's firepower with deep groundstrokes.
A crucial break of serve in the first set followed by an early lead in the tiebreak of the second set helped the Russian to win in straight sets and maintain his perfect head to head record against the Canadian.
“It was shaky here and there, but I am really happy to be through to the final,” said Medvedev after emerging victorious against Raonic.
“I’m in the final of a Masters, so I’m quite happy about that, obviously the two best players of the tournament are still left, we’ll see who’s going to win", said Zverev optimistic about his chances ahead of the final.
With both players showing signs of dominance with good touch, this match could go down to the wire.
Prediction - Alexander Zverev to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - Getty Images