Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas - ATP Finals - Preview and Prediction
After a week of thrilling matches and shocking upsets, we are all set for the big final. World number four, Dominic Thiem locks horns with world number six, Stefanos Tsitsipas, tonight.
- There will be a new ATP Finals champion for the fourth year in a row
- Thiem leads the head to head record, 3-1. on indoor hard-courts against Tsitsipas
- Both Thiem and Tsitsipas are right-handers with one-handed backhands
- Both Tsitsipas and Thiem have never won the ATP Finals tournament
- Thiem crashed out in the group stage of the tournament last year
- Both Thiem and Tsitsipas beat six-time champion Federer and defending champion, Zverev in straight sets
- Both Thiem and Tsitsipas have beaten the big three - Federer, Nadal and Djokovic this season
- If Tsitsipas wins the title, he will become the youngest champion in 18 years and sixth youngest in 50 years
Strengths of Thiem
Consistent hitting, ability to win tie-breaks and deciding sets are his weapons
Strengths of Tsitsipas
Big-serve, high breakpoint conversion and calmness under pressure are his plus points.
“It is one of the best tournaments all year, one of the most prestigious tournaments all year and I am getting the chance to play the final tomorrow, it is unreal to me,” said Thiem after beating Zverev in the semis.
"I remember myself being one of these kids here, watching the event, and for me it was just, I could never picture myself standing here, but it did happen. Dreams do come true.” reflected Tsitsipas after stunning Roger Federer 6-3, 6-4 in the semifinals.
Whatever be the outcome, the old guard has been challenged and the Next-Gen are crossing higher levels.
The future of tennis is in safe hands as excitement, fearlessness, energy and versatility arrive.
The crowd will have a huge role to play in inspiring the two talents.
Prediction - Stefanos Tsitsipas to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits - www.standard.co.uk