Dominic Thiem vs Matteo Berrettini - ATP Finals - Preview and Prediction
The Next-Gen draw the battle lines once again as world number five, Dominic Thiem takes on number eight, Matteo Berrettini tonight.
- Thiem has already reached the semifinals of the ATP Finals
- Berrettini has crashed out of the tournament having lost his first two matches
- Thiem leads the head to head record 2-1 against Berrettini
- Thiem beat Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic in his first two matches
- It is Thiem's fourth appearance in the ATP Finals
- Berrettini would aim to become the first Italian player to win a singles match in the ATP Finals
The Austrian has been in fantastic form. After defeating Federer in the first match, there was no let down in intensity by Thiem. Though he lost the first set to Djokovic, he made a roaring comeback. A low-first serve percentage of 57 was compensated by 50 winners as "Dominator" took full control.
On the other hand, it has been a tough time for the Italian. Despite possessing all the weapons, big-serve, good court-coverage, Berrettini has not been able to execute his plans.
The US Open semifinalist should improve his second-serve percentage. A change in game-plan by playing a bit slow against Thiem may work for Berrettini.
He should try to convert every break point opportunity as Thiem makes a lot of unforced errors. The Austrian isn't a great server and that is where the Italian can pick his points.
Berrettini should take risks if he wants to win at least a set against Thiem.
Though this match is a dead rubber, it can reflect the form of both the players. Thiem would look to continue his good run while Berrettini will aim to salvage some pride.
The crowd will enjoy the relentless hitting between these two talents.
While Thiem has become one of the world's best players, Berrettini is slowly entering the big stage.
Cover Image Credits - The Stats Zone
Prediction - Dominic Thiem to win in three sets