Dominic Thiem vs Daniil Medvedev: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Third seed Dominic Thiem sets up a cracker of a final against the fourth seed Daniil Medvedev in the ATP Finals
- Dominic Thiem leads the head to head record 3-1 against Medvedev.
- The Austrian is playing his second consecutive final at the year-ending tournament after finishing as the runner-up last year.
- Daniil Medvedev is playing his first finals at the ATP Finals.
- The Russian is on a nine-match winning streak.
- Medvedev has not lost a match yet in the tournament this year.
- Both Thiem and Medvedev have beaten Nadal and Djokovic in this year's tournament.
- This is the first meeting between the two on indoor hard courts.
- Thiem has a 25-8 win-loss record this season.
- Medvedev has a 27-10 win-loss record this season.
- This will be the sixth consecutive year where a different champion will be crowned at the ATP Finals with five different winners in the last five years.
- Medvedev has a 6-0 record against top-10 players in the past three weeks.
Dominic Thiem edged past Novak Djokovic 7-5 6-7 7-6 in the semifinals. Djokovic saved four match points in the tiebreak of the second set to force a decider. The Serb was up 4-0 in the deciding set tiebreak before Thiem took six points in a row to grab the set 7-6 (5) to win the match. It was his 300th match win in his career.
Medvedev batted past Rafael Nadal 3-6 7-6 6-3. It was the first time that Nadal had lost a match after leading by a set. He failed to serve out the match while leading 5-4 in the second set.
Thiem kept on unleashing a series of winners despite being under pressure against Djokovic. Medvedev was on song with his missile-like serves and a strong game from the baseline.
The Austrian has excelled with his splendid court coverage in London. On the other hand, the Russian needs to improve his second serve ahead of the final.
With the next generation dislodging the old guard this week, there is not much to choose between Thiem and Medvedev based on either skill or form with both being in good touch.
The fans can expect another close encounter that could go down to the wire.
Prediction - Dominic Thiem to win in three sets.
Featured Image Credits - atptour.com