Dominic Thiem vs Andrey Rublev: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Third seed Dominic Thiem locks horns against the seventh seed Andrey Rublev in the Nitto ATP Finals
- The head to head record is tied at 2-2 between the two.
- Dominic Thiem has already qualified for the semifinals after winning two matches in a row.
- Andrey Rublev is yet to win a match in the tournament after making his debut appearance.
- The Russian will not be able to qualify for the semifinals after losing two matches in a row.
- This is the second successive year that Thiem has made it to the semifinals of the ATP Finals.
- The Austrian has defeated the big 3, Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal in 2019 and 2020.
Dominic Thiem edged past Rafael Nadal 7-6 7-6. Rafa failed to convert a few set points in the first set and was ahead by a break in the second set and did not capitalize on the advantages to eventually lose in straight sets. The Austrian pushed Nadal behind the baseline and raised the level of his game at the right moments.
On the other hand, Rublev lost in three sets to Stefanos Tsitsipas. He failed to make use of a match point in the third set tiebreaker committing a double fault to lose the match.
The Austrian's aggressive and attacking style has paid him rich dividends. His forehand has been accurate and his backhand slice has been used cleverly while playing shots close to the net.
Rublev too has powerful groundstrokes off both the wings and uses his inside-out forehand along with his impeccable footwork to keep his opponents behind the baseline.
Having beaten the third-seed two times in a row, Rublev would know every aspect of the Austrian's game and would give a strong fight to notch up his first win in the tournament.
Thiem will aim to maintain his unbeaten record and be in the best shape ahead of the semifinals. Even if the matches go very close, Thiem is having the edge by winning the tiebreakers. Rublev has to play attacking tennis and control his nerves if he wants to trouble Thiem.
Prediction - Dominic Thiem to win in three sets.
Featured Image Credits - firstsportz.com
Leave a Reply