Dominic Thiem vs Alexander Zverev - Semifinals - ATP Finals - Preview and Prediction
The battle of two talented next-gen players is set to take place as World number four, Dominic Thiem takes on World number seven, Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals of ATP finals.
- Thiem leads Zverev 5-2 in the head to head record
- Zverev is the ATP finals defending champion
- Thiem has reached his first semifinal after playing four times in the ATP Finals
- Zverev beat Federer and Djokovic in last year's ATP Finals
- Thiem beat Federer and Djokovic in this year's tournament
- Thiem and Zverev are tied 1-1 on hard-courts
- All the matches of Zverev in this year's ATP Finals have finished in straight sets
- Thiem has won three hard-court titles in 2019
- Zverev has won one hard-court title this year
It has been a terrific tournament for Thiem. He has played attacking tennis. The "Prince of Clay" has made a perfect transition to hard-courts just like a fish takes to water.
After winning two matches in a row, the Austrian suffered a surprise loss to Matteo Berrettini.
Strengths of Thiem
High first-serve winning percentage, consistent break-point conversion and ability to win deciding sets have been Thiem's weapons
On the other hand, it has been a topsy-turvy tournament for Zverev. The German kick-started his campaign stunning Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-4. He got thrashed in straight sets by Stefanos Tsitsipas in the next match. In a must-win encounter to reach the semis, "Sascha" played high-quality tennis under pressure to win and reach the semis.
Strengths of Zverev
A big-serve, solid defense and versatility has been Zverev's plus-points
"The O2 is the most special arena for me. It is where I play my best tennis. The atmosphere here is something we do not play in anywhere else in the world, it is so special to us”, said Zverev after beating Medvedev 6-4 7-6.
Whatever be the result, a 26 year-old Thiem taking on a 22 year-old Zverev in a big match is one of the best things happening to the future of tennis. The cross-roads are here as the old guards of tennis battle the new stars.
Prediction - Dominic Thiem to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits - Getty Images