Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe: Prediction | Head-to-Head | Stats: Miami Open 2021
Daniil Medvedev vs Frances Tiafoe: Miami Open 4th Round Preview
Medvedev was severely tested by Australian youngster Alexei Popyrin in the round of 32. The Russian won a tight first set 7-6(3) and was leading 5-4 (40-0). Popyrin saved three match points and took the second set 7-6 (7) to force a decider.
The Russian got a crucial break of serve in the seventh game of the third set and capitalized on it to clinch the match 7-6(3) 6-7 (7) 6-4. Medvedev smashed 10 aces and claimed 92% of points on his first-serve.
“I think winning a grand slam final in three sets, straight sets, does not feel the way I felt after the match point today, the only thing I was thinking about is not to fall down, because if I fall down, I don't think I would be able to get up, my legs were not following me, I could not bend it or make it straight, I had to keep the same posture, I could not make a step more than, I don't know, 10 centimetres," said Medvedev battling to a tough win against Popyrin after suffering cramps.
On the other hand, Tiafoe registered a come-from-behind win against the 16th seed Dusan Lajovic in the 3rd round of the Miami Open.
Trailing by 6-1 after a poor start, the American bounced back strongly and won the next two sets 7-5 6-3 to book his spot in the pre-quarterfinals. Tiafoe fired 6 aces and pocketed 68% of points on his first-serve.
Medvedev vs Tiafoe: Head to Head Record
Medvedev leads the head-to-head record by a comfortable margin of 3-0 against Tiafoe. All their matches have been played on outdoor hard courts so far.
Medvedev vs Tiafoe: Key Insights
- Medvedev is on a 6-match winning streak.
- Medvedev lost to Roger Federer in straight sets in the pre-quarterfinals of the last-held Miami Open in 2019.
- Tiafoe was defeated by Denis Shapovalov in three sets in the quarterfinals of the Miami Open 2019.
- If Medvedev wins against Tiafoe, he will reach the Miami Open quarterfinals for the first time in his career.
- Tiafoe has won all his three matches in three sets each in Miami. He has also lost the first set in every match played in the tournament.
- Tiafoe is playing in the fourth round in the Miami Masters for the third time in a row after also making it in 2018 and 2019.
- Tiafoe has a 12-3 win-loss record in the history of the Miami Open.
- Tiafoe has a 9-6 win-loss record in the 2021 season.
- Medvedev has a 16-2 win-loss record this season.
- If Tiafoe wins against Medvedev, it will be his second quarterfinal of the year as he has already made it to the Delray Beach open quarters in January.
- If Medvedev wins against Tiafoe, he will reach his fourth quarterfinal of 2021 (ATP Cup, Australian Open, and Marseille Open).
Medvedev would have been physically drained out after a marathon match (2 hours and 39 minutes) against Popyrin in the third round of the Miami Open.
The Russian tennis star kept going after drinking some fluids and electrolytes. Medvedev has been very strong from the baseline hitting a lot of winners regularly. His smart strategy of keeping points short worked wonders when he has having cramps in the third set against Popyrin.
Tiafoe who has started slowly in all his matches in the Miami Open has lifted his game in the second and third sets against his opponents.
The American's main strengths are a big serve and a powerful forehand. Tiafoe has expressed his discomfort with the humid conditions in Miami and has lost his concentration in the initial stages of the match.
Medvedev has an impenetrable defense when he gets going. He relies on his deep groundstrokes to control the long rallies. He can put his opponents off-balance with his ultra-flat and precise backhand.
Tiafoe possesses a great foot speed and plays aggressively from the baseline with his potent two-handed backhand. His biggest weakness lies in a below-par net game.
The American's forehand also generates a lot of topspin. His second serve needs a bit of work. When Tiafoe is off-color, he can commit a lot of unforced errors and that might cost him the match against Medvedev.
Prediction - Daniil Medvedev to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - First Sportz