Novak Djokovic vs Dominic Thiem: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Top seed Novak Djokovic sets up a blockbuster showdown against the third seed, Dominic Thiem in the semifinals of the ATP Finals
- Novak Djokovic leads the head to head record 7-4 against Thiem.
- The current world no.1 is targetting a record-equalling sixth ATP Finals title to equal the count with his great archrival, Roger Federer.
- Djokovic is playing his 9th semifinal at the year-ending tournament in 13 appearances.
- Dominic Thiem is playing his second consecutive semifinal at the ATP Finals.
- The Austrian defeated Djokovic in three sets in last year's tournament.
- Thiem is aiming to win his first ATP Finals title after finishing as the runner-up last year.
- Djokovic has a 41-4 win-loss record this season.
- The Serb will finish the year as the World number one for the first time equalling the record set by the legendary Pete Sampras.
Novak Djokovic came out all guns blazing in a must-win clash against Alexander Zverev beating him 6-3 7-6. His supreme defense and wide array of shots helped him to outsmart the German as he did not concede a single break of serve during the entire match.
After winning two matches in a row, Thiem lost in straight sets to Andrey Rublev.
Despite that defeat, he will be full of confidence as his deep groundstrokes and quick movement have made him a force to reckon on the pacy indoor courts.
Thiem's main weapons are the inside-out forehand and down-the-line backhand. The 'Djoker' would look to use his proficiency in long rallies and wear down the Austrian. The Serb will depend on his top-notch return of serve to deal with Thiem's mix of spin and power.
“You know, if I manage to play as well as I did today, and show up with a high quality of tennis, I think I have a good chance to win," said Djokovic after his crucial win against Zverev.
There is not much to choose between Djokovic and Thiem as the Serb has not been at his invincible best while the Austrian has been in excellent form in recent forms.
Tennis fans could have a great treat as this is a cracker of a match and could go down to the wire.
Prediction - Novak Djokovic to win in three sets.
Featured Image Credits - Tennis.com