India vs Pakistan - Davis Cup - Preview and Prediction
The battle lines are drawn as the two Asian giants, India and Pakistan clash in the Asia/ Oceania Group 1 of the Davis Cup in Kazakhstan today.
Both teams look to have ironed out all controversies regarding player selection, venue change and injury issues.
- Four singles matches and one doubles match will be played on hard-courts over 2 days
- The winner of the clash will meet Croatia in the World Group qualifiers in March 2020
- India leads the head to head record, 6-0, against Pakistan
- Ramkumar Ramanathan and Sumit Nagal will play the singles matches for India
- Pakistan have fielded two teenagers, Muhammad Shoaib and Huzaifa Abdul Rahman in the singles
- Muhammad and Huzaifa will play the doubles against Jeevan Neduncheziyan and Leander Paes
- Reserve players, Saketh Myneni and Yousuf Khalil may also play depending upon the conditions
- Paes will be gunning for a record 44th doubles win
“Thankfully, the All India Tennis Association (AITA) provided us some heavy jackets considering the extreme weather conditions. Our physios are giving the players extending sessions, there are improvised drills to not only warm up the players, but also cool them down.” said the newly appointed captain, Rohit Rajpal.
The absence of veteran doubles players, Rohan Bopanna and Aisam-ul Haq Qureshi will put more pressure on Paes to win the doubles.
With a depleted squad, Pakistan will look to salvage some pride by winning at least one match. India, starting as the favourites will look to wrap it up quickly. Though Pakistan's squad is relatively young and inexperienced, India must not be complacent.
The players will aim to give their best on the big occasion. Whatever be the outcome, the terrific atmosphere and the passion while playing for the nation would keep the fans on the edge of their seats.
Prediction - India to win in four matches
Cover Image Credits - News18.com