Rafael Nadal vs Daniil Medvedev - ATP Finals - Preview and Prediction
World number one, Rafael Nadal takes on number four, Daniel Medvedev in a blockbuster encounter tonight.
- Both Nadal and Medvedev lost their first match in the tournament in straight sets
- Nadal has never won the ATP Finals in his career
- Medvedev has never beaten Nadal in his career
- Both Nadal and Medvedev could not get any break point opportunities in their first matches
- The loser of this match will crash out of the tournament
- Nadal and Medvedev are playing for the third time in 2019
- Medvedev is making his debut in the ATP Finals
- Nadal won two hard-court titles this season
- Medvedev won four hard-court titles this season
It has been a bad beginning for Rafa. The 19-time grand slam champion was beaten convincingly by Zverev. Though the Spaniard did not serve any double faults in the match, a low second serve percentage of 43 proved to be his weakness. He did admit that there were no injury concerns and less practice was one of the main reasons for the defeat.
On the other hand, the Russian suffered a surprise loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas. His unorthodox game, playing grinding rallies was not there as his returns were not up to the mark.
"Things happen, you need to accept, sometimes the things that are happening are very positive sometimes negative. We need to accept both things being and staying calm at all times, that is what I did probably all my career", said Nadal after his 6-2, 6-4 loss to Alexander Zverev.
“I'm struggling a little bit with finding back my level I had in USA, Shanghai and St. Petersburg, I am quite confident that at one moment I will get it back, the question is is it going to be this tournament or the next one", said Medvedev reflecting his current form.
Excitement, energy and an electric atmosphere will make this match a classic. The fans will remember the memories of the five-set epic US Open final which Nadal won.
Prediction - Rafael Nadal to win in three sets
Cover Image Credits - USOpen.org