Ashleigh Barty vs Bianca Andreescu Miami Open Finals | Prediction | Preview | H2H
After two weeks of thrilling victories, stunning upsets, and come-from-behind victories, we are set for the grand Miami Open finals as top seed Ashleigh Barty locks horns against the eighth-seeded Bianca Andreescu.
Ashleigh Barty did not put a foot wrong in a commanding 6-3 6-3 win against the fifth seed Elina Svitolina in the semifinals. The Australian smashed 7 aces, pounded 27 winners, and claimed 65% of her first-serve points.
On the other hand, Andreescu prevailed in a tight three-setter against the 23rd seed Maria Sakkari in the semis.
The match was equally poised after the Canadian took the first set 7-6(7) and Sakkari bounced back to clinch the second set 6-3.
Down a break (2-4) in the deciding set, Andreescu won five out of the next seven games to overpower the Greek 7-6(4) in the third set to reach the finals after an epic post-midnight drama.
Andreescu vs Barty: Head to Head Record
Surprisingly, this is the first-ever meeting between Barty and Andreescu on the WTA Tour.
Barty vs Andreescu: Miami Open Final Key Insights
- Barty is the defending champion having won the last edition of the Miami Open in 2019.
- Andreescu is playing her first final on the WTA Tour after reaching the US Open finals in 2019.
- Barty is playing her second final in a row in Miami.
- Andreescu is playing in the Miami Open finals for the first time in her career.
- Barty will remain the World number 1 for at least one month after Naomi Osaka lost in the quarterfinals to Sakkari in straight sets.
- Barty is on an 11-match winning streak in the Miami Open.
- Andreescu lost to Anett Kontaveit in the pre-quarterfinals of the Miami Open 2019. She retired hurt after trailing 6-1 2-0.
- Barty has an impressive 12-2 win-loss record in the 2021 season.
- Barty will aim to win the second WTA title this season after clinching the Yarra Valley Classic in February when she defeated Garbine Muguruza in straight sets in the finals.
- Barty has never lost the first set in her five matches in this tournament.
- Andreescu has played four three-setters in a row in Miami.
- Barty will aim to win her 10th WTA Title in her career. She has a 9-5 win-loss record in finals.
- Andreescu has a 7-1 win-loss record in three-set matches this year.
- Barty has never defended a title successfully in her career so far.
- If Barty wins against Andreescu, she will be the second player to win a title this year after saving a match point (versus Kristina Kucova in the second round). Osaka clinched the Australian Open 2021 after saving two match points in the fourth round against Muguruza.
- Barty has won five matches in a row against top-10 ranked players.
Barty vs Andreescu: Game Analysis
After triumphing in back-to-back three-setters against Belarusian players Victoria Azarenka and Aryna Sabelenka, Barty was unstoppable as she put up an intense performance with a variety of shots against Svitolina.
The Australian's only concern would be the abdominal injury that forced her to take a medical timeout in the semis. Barty has dismissed the worries by claiming that she has put tape on it and has enough time for recovery.
The World number 1 can play drop shots, topspin heavy lobs, forehand returns, volleys, and clever slices. She also varies the pace of her play in the slow and low bounce conditions in Miami effectively.
Andreescu made some terrific comebacks against Sakkari. She saved two set points in the tiebreaker of the first set and was just four points from losing the match in the third set.
The Canadian is a powerful returner from the baseline and can rip winners with ease from the net. Andreescu can hit through the court with precision and also flip the ball up.
Both players are equal in the skill departments. Barty has good composure while Bianca can get out of tricky situations easily.
Fatigue may affect Andreescu's chances as she has been on the court three hours more than the Australian. But, the Canadian knows to get the best out of herself having had a stellar record in North American hardcourt tournaments.
Barty will have a great chance of victory if she wins the first set while Andreescu can never be counted out due to her immense mental strength.
Prediction - Ashleigh Barty to win the Miami Open Final in three sets against Bianca Andreescu.
Featured Image Credits - youtube / Dan Rodenby