Kenyan Gor Mahia beats APR of Rwanda 3-1 to advance to the next stage

Gor Mahia FC
© Gor Mahia FC 

CAF Championships: Gor Mahia FC advances to the next stage after handing APR FC of Rwanda a beating of 3 - 1 at Nyayo Stadium. Agg. 4 - 3.

K'Ogalo as they are known by its fans turned on the heat in the dying minutes of the second half with two quickly taken goals to eliminate the army side of Rwanda. The emphatic win takes them to the next round of the Caf Champions League after a 3-1 win over APR Rwanda at Nyayo Stadium on Saturday, winning 4-3 on aggregate.

Samuel Onyango scored for the home team in the first half before substitute Keddy Nsanzimfura equalized for the visitors in the 81st minute. It seemed APR were cruising to the next stage but Sydney Ochieng' and Nicholas Kipkirui struck late to win the tie for the Kenyan champions.

The Kenyan outfit had lost 2-1 in the first leg, and Saturday's result meant the Sammy Omollo-led charges advance to the next round.

Both teams started the game on a high, and within the first five minutes, the hosts created a goal-scoring opportunity. Benson Omalla, who was making his debut for K'Ogalo, managed to latch onto a long ball and set Tito Okello free, but he misguided the ball from just outside the 18-yard area.

On the other end, Rague Byiringiro managed to beat his marker but Andrew Juma was there to ensure the ball did not reach the dangerous Jacques Tuyisenge.

The Army side won a penalty in the ninth minute after Andrew Juma fouled Oliver Niyonzima in the danger zone. Tuyisenge an ex-K'Ogalo skipper stepped up but Gad Mathews in the Gor Mahia goal managed to stop him from scoring.

K'Ogalo upped their tempo after APR had missed their chance. In the 17th minute, captain Kenneth Muguna was fouled in a promising position, but the defenders headed the ball only as far as Onyango, who tapped the ball into the net.

Gor Mahia could have doubled their advantage in the 25th minute when Onyango managed to beat his marker before picking out Bernard Ondiek, but the latter wasted the chance.

Fitina Omborenga was caught napping by Okello in the 30th minute. He lost the ball and the South Sudanese unleashed a fierce strike but straight to goalkeeper Umar Ndayisenga, who parried the ball for an unfruitful corner. 

A defensive lapse by the home team then allowed Omborenga to bring in a cross from the right. However, Mathews managed to have a slight touch on the ball to deny the waiting Tuysenge a chance to score late in the first stanza.

Fans were not allowed in the stadium due to the Covid-19 restrictions. However, the game was televised live through the state channel KBC.

©Gor Mahia fc

The visitors started the second half on a high, however, they had to wait until the 56th minute to test the goalkeeper courtesy of Tuyisenge's long-range effort. 

In the 70th minute, Omalla was let loose in the danger zone and he unleashed a fierce strike which the goalkeeper did well to keep out for a corner. 

Substitute Keddy Nsanzimfura then seemingly killed Gor Mahia's hopes of making it to the next round with a screamer from outside the 18-yard area which Mathews failed to stop.

However, Gor Mahia were not done yet as Ochieng scored for K'Ogalo in stoppage time before Kipkirui headed in the third just before the final whistle.

Gor Mahia XI: Gad Mathews, Charles Momanyi, Philemon Otieno, Michael Apudo, Andrew Juma, Ernest Wendo, Kenneth Muguna, Bernard Ondiek, Tito Okello, Benson Omalla, Samuel Onyango.

Subs: Levis Opiyo, Geoffrey Ochieng', Joachim Oluoch, Bertrand Konfor, Sydney Ochieng', Clifton Miheso, Nicholas Kipkirui.

APR XI: Umar Ndayisenga, Claude Niyomugabo, Thierry Manzi, Ange Mutsinzi, Jacques Tuyisenge, Djabel Manishimwe, Rague Byiringiro, Olivier Niyonzima, Emmanuel Imanishimwe, Fitina Omborenga, Jean-Bosco Ruboneka.

Featured Image Credits -

Leave a Reply