Novak Djokovic vs Daniil Medvedev: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Top seed Novak Djokovic locks horns against the fourth seed Daniil Medvedev in the ATP Finals
- Novak Djokovic leads the head to head record 3-2 against Medvedev.
- The Serb is targetting a record sixth ATP Finals title to level the count with his great archrival, Roger Federer.
- Both the players won their respective opening matches in straight sets.
- Daniil Medvedev won his first-ever match at the ATP Finals after defeating Alexander Zverev.
- Djokovic has a 40-3 win-loss record this year with four titles.
- Medvedev lost all his matches in last year's tournament.
- The Russian has a 24-10 win-loss record this season.
- Djokovic will finish as the year-end number one for the sixth time overall equalling the legendary Pete Sampras's record.
- Djokovic has not won the tournament since 2015.
- The winner of this match will most likely book his spot in the semifinals.
Novak Djokovic was brutally efficient against Diego Schwartzman with seven aces and broke him 4 times to romp home after winning two sets. He continued his record of never losing an opening match in the ATP Finals since 2007 when he was defeated by David Ferrer.
Medvedev was too good for Zverev once again. He saved 5 of 6 breakpoints and was in control of the long rallies with his deep groundstrokes.
Though Djokovic dropped his serve once in the first set, he did not look back after that winning five games in a row. His baseline play was solid and Schwartzman was caught on the wrong foot many times.
The reigning World No.1 needs to get back his returns in play against someone as consistent as Medvedev. The Russian hits deep and precise off the ground.
"My wide serve was not working as well as I would like and he was returning good, this was one of the most intense matches I had in my career," said Medvedev after emerging victorious against Zverev.
"I was very happy the way I played in the second set when I started swinging through the ball, it was close I think until I broke at 4-3, it was tough for Diego, first match in the arena he maybe wasn't playing his best in the closing moments of the first set," said Djokovic after his crucial win against Schwartzman.
This match could go down to the wire as both players are at their best and a few points may decide the winner
Prediction - Novak Djokovic to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - Getty Images