Novak Djokovic vs Diego Schwartzman: Nitto ATP Finals Preview and Prediction
Top seed Novak Djokovic commences his campaign against the eighth seed Diego Schwartzman in the Nitto ATP Finals
- Novak Djokovic leads the head to head record 5-0 against Schwartzman.
- The current world No.1 is targetting a record-equalling sixth ATP finals title to level with his great archrival, Roger Federer.
- Diego Schwartzman is making his debut at the ATP Finals after finishing in the top 10 of the rankings for the first time in his career.
- Djokovic has not won the tournament since 2015.
- Irrespective of the outcome in this tournament, Djokovic will finish as the year-end number one for the 6th time in his career.
- Schwartzman will be aiming for his 4th ATP tour title.
- He is the first Argentinian to compete in the tournament after Juan Martin Del Potro in 2013.
- Djokovic has a 39-3 win-loss record in 2020.
- Schwartzman has a 25-12 win-loss record in 2020.
Novak Djokovic is coming into this tournament after a crushing 6-2 6-1 defeat to Lorenzo Sonego in the quarterfinals of the Vienna Open. He strategically chose to skip the Paris Masters as he will not earn any points there owing to the revised system opted by the ATP tour due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Schwartzman is arriving after a straight-set loss to Daniil Medvedev in the quarterfinals of the Paris Masters.
"Against Nole, you have to always play your 100%, it’s hard to think of something else, or try to be tactically better than him, or try to do winners, you just have to walk on the court trying to play your 100%, and maybe if he’s not in his best day, you’re going to have a few opportunities", said Schwartzman underlining his gameplan against the Serb.
"I've been very fortunate to enjoy a lot of success in O2 Arena and this tournament that probably is the most challenging tournament of the year or of the season because you start off by playing a top-eight player in the world right away, and every single match that you get to play, you play against one of the top-eight guys", said Djokovic appreciating the tough competition in the tournament.
While Djokovic will be looking to get quickly off the blocks, Schwartzman has to play attacking tennis right from the start to trouble the Serb.
Prediction - Novak Djokovic to win in three sets
Featured Image Credits - atptour.com