Sofia Open Semi-Final Preview and Prediction: Richard Gasquet vs Vasek Pospisil
The veteran, Richard Gasquet takes on Vasek Pospisil in the second semifinal of the Sofia Open.
- Pospisil leads the head to head record 3-2 against Gasquet.
- This is the first time that Gasquet has won three matches consecutively this season.
- Gasquet has not lost a set yet and his serve has been broken only twice in the tournament.
- Gasquet is aiming to make his first final since July 2018.
- Gasquet is playing his first semifinal since the 2019 Cincinnati Open.
- Both the players are aiming for their first title in 2020.
- Pospisil is targetting his first-ever singles title on the tour after turning pro in 2007.
- Pospisil is aiming for a second final this year after finishing as the runner-up in the Montpellier Open.
- Pospisil is playing his eighth career semifinal and second in 2020.
Gasquet edged past Salvatore Caruso 7-6 7-5 in the quarterfinals.
Pospisil stunned the newly-crowned Astana Open champion, John Millman 6-3 6-2.
Following repeated back injuries and surgery, Pospisil is on a comeback trail. Once ranked as high as 25 in 2014, he is placed at the 74th spot now.
Gasquet has battled poor form, multiple injuries and disappointing losses in his career. The Frenchman is placed at the 49th spot in the rankings now. He would look to end his season high and go Down Under for the next season with full confidence.
Pospisil will look to take control of the game with his strong forehand and superior netplay to put pressure on Gasquet.
Gasquet will look to maintain his aggressive style of playing and use his powerful one-handed backhand to do the damage against the Canadian. His outcome will depend on how well he strikes the ball.
Pospisil cannot afford to just stay behind the baseline and fend off a barrage of big groundstrokes from Gasquet. Having defeated two seeds in this tournament so far, his confidence will be sky-high.
Gasquet will aim to start strong and level the head to head record against Pospisil in the second semi-final of the Sofia Open.
Prediction - Richard Gasquet to win in three sets.
Featured Image Credits - firstsportz.com